Smoothies are great because they allow lots of creative liberties depending on your diet goals; for example, use protein powder to enhance your workout, blend oranges and mangoes for boosted immunity, add bananas if you need potassium, etc.
One of the best times to make nutritious smoothies is during a detox. Green smoothies, in particular, incorporate some of the most beneficial ingredients for detoxing.
But, it’s often hard to know which ingredients to eat more of and which ingredients to avoid. We put together a few green smoothie recipes for detox to make your detox process easier!
Benefits of a Green Smoothie for Detox
Green smoothies are, by definition, packed with the leafy greens that are so beneficial while detoxing.
Greens can help purify your blood, increase the production of healthy bacteria in your gut, reduce inflammation, and improve liver and kidney function. They even help lessen one of the worst detox symptoms; poor mental health.
The beauty of green smoothies is that the ingredients don’t begin and end with the greens. The possibilities of ingredients are endless.
There are many fruits you can add to create the flavor profile of your green smoothie and support your detox; make sure to avoid fruits that have high sugar content.
If you want to get creative, you can even toss in some detox herbs and spices to bump up the flavor!
Ideally, you’ll have a vitamin-rich beverage that’s perfect for detoxing. But, keep in mind a homemade detox smoothie can’t put in the same work as a detox program, which is guaranteed to get you fully detoxed in just a few days.
If you’re on a strict time limit to complete your detox, we suggest drinking detox smoothies while using your detox program for the best results.
Best Green Smoothie Recipes
We’ve included a few smoothie recipes for different tastes, but each combines the most beneficial ingredients for a detox. Make sure all ingredients you use are natural and contain little to no sugar.
Green Piña Colada
- ½ cup spinach
- 1 banana, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup pineapple chunks, fresh or frozen (if canned, make sure there is no added sugar)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ cup ice, if using fresh fruit
- Add spinach, fruit, and coconut milk to the blender.
- Blend on high until you reach your desired consistency.
- If you are using fresh fruit instead of frozen, blend with ice.
Tart Citrus Smoothie
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 peeled oranges
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 cup kale
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup ice
- Juice 1-2 lemons to make approximately 2 tablespoons lemon juice or use ready-made 100% pure lemon juice.
- Peel oranges and separate them into sections.
- You can use already minced ginger as long as there are no added ingredients, or mince an approximately 1-inch ginger clove yourself.
- Add lemon juice, oranges, ginger, kale, and water to the blender and mix until fully blended.
- Add ice and blend again until you reach your desired consistency.
Apple Cinnamon Smoothie
- 1 green apple
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ avocado
- 1 cup ice
- Core the apple and cut it into 4-5 pieces for easier blending.
- Add apple, cinnamon, spinach, and almond milk to the blender.
- Scoop ¼ avocado off of the skin and add to the blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add ice, and blend until you reach your desired consistency.